Sharing my life and love of cross stitch. Thoughts about this and that.

Friday, March 12, 2010

A small Hurrah!

I FINALLY located my scant back-up disks - from May, 2004. I know I tried to make another a year or so later, but ran into so many problems with Dell's Roxio disk maker I never bothered again. HOWEVER, I did recover some old professional and client files, some older family photos - which I am VERY relieved to have back, and a few of my oldest cross stitch charts. I am not happy that my Calendar data files were completely missing. And the BU disk that I know I tried a year or so later is totally blank.

Still on 28.8k dial-up here. My kindly older neighbor had spent an afternoon d/l drivers from Dell to try to help solve the modem issue. Because I was busy trying to get other stuff to work, reconstruct (as in re-type starting over from scratch) missing professional and client Word docs, and resigned to snail's pace dial-up, I waited about a week before I was ready. I set aside 1/2 a day and loaded the CD. It was totally blank.: { I hadn't the heart to tell Mr Cantu, so waited most of another week before I called to find out if perhaps he brought me the wrong disk. His wife answered. She was in the waiting room at the Hospital - he was in emergency surgery  I expressed my deep concern, but nothing else.I did buy some flowers after I understood he was to be at home, but I don't think he's home yet and flowers are waiting to be hand-delivered.

Almost all my time is spent trying to reconstruct financial information I lost when Quicken totally failed to read the back-up disks that I so rigorously kept current. I did use Pattern Maker to rechart a couple of my small LMc Design charts that I found a print-out of . My only solace in this awful experience is that I've developed a very deep appreciation for a generous neighbor and that I have SOME records after all. Only, now that I see what I did and accomplished up to 2004, I can't figure out what I've done for the past 6 years - which feel like they have simply vanished with little if anything to show for the passing days. It's very disconcerting. and depressing.

2 comments:

Silverlotus said...

It is nice to hear that you found some back-ups. Rebuilding a digital life can be very, very hard.

I know that I'm starting to do regular back-ups now because you shared your disaster with us all. Thank you.

LindaMc said...

Good to know that a positive outcome of this experience is that at least one other person will avoid a similar travail in their own future. Thanks for sharing that!

Photobucket